Discovery – Infrastructure
Request for aviation demand data
Further to recent meetings between Perth Airport, members and CME, it was agreed CME will request aviation data from members on intrastate and interstate workforce projections. The building of a third runway will seek to introduce additional capacity, helping to reduce congestion and pressures on existing slots during peak times (0500 to 0800) on peak days (Monday, Thursday and Friday).
Members wishing to grow workforces that will need to travel by air should get in touch to provide data. The build of the runway has a four to five-year lead time and based on current demand, a new runway is likely to be needed sooner than later. The collection of data on aircraft movements and passenger numbers will help improve Perth Airport’s decisions on timing of when to have the runway operational to meet demand.
Infrastructure related announcements by members
- Perth Airport – Received Federal Government approval for the New Runway Project.
- APA Group – Up to $460 million to construct a new 580 km pipeline to connect emerging gas fields in the Perth basin to the Goldfields region. It is expected to be operational around mid-2022 and will interconnect existing pipelines, adding capacity but also increasing gas supply options for members.
- BHP – Two new road-over-rail bridges and removal of an at-grade rail crossing to prevent road conflicts will improve road safety and transport efficiency in the Pilbara. The first rail-over-rail bridge project will receive $18.2 million from the Australian Government, $4.54 million from the WA Government and $13.26 million from BHP.
- Santos – New agreement to supply natural gas to Kleenheat.
- Alinta – Construction commenced on the $95 million expansion of the Newman Power Station to support increasing penetration of renewables in the Pilbara. It is scheduled to complete in March 2022 and will support Roy Hill and FMG.